Monday 20 January 2020

Filling and un-filling the shelves

I wasn't going to fill the shelves in The Toy House until I had finished the two rooms above it, but then I couldn't resist and thought it would be fun to see just how much (or little) I had collected and made for the shelves.
That was ages ago now (October according to the date on my photo).
I had more bit and pieces for the shelves than I thought, but still a long way to go before the shop is overflowing.

It was fun to see them on the shelves. I was surprised how much I had and not surprised how much more I need to make the shop look like it is overflowing like an Aladdin's cave.


It had been my plan to pack the little toys up again almost right away, so that I could finish a few little details on the room itself. I also want to try and somehow note properly what is there. Some is bought, some is made from scratch and some are made from kits.
One of my idea with this space is to record where, how and what everything is. We'll see how that goes.
Not much has happened in the meantime either. Firstly because I haven't had a lot of time and secondly because, as you would most likely know, there is only so much you can do to a box full of teeny, tiny bits. Clearing the space out again didn't happen until just the other day and I started finishing and adding the last few details on the weekend.


One thing that had been troubleshooting me was the lighting. I am not sure the light over the counter will cast enough light into the shelves and I would like the shop to be bright and cheerful. I had bought a couple of spotlight (miniature lighting company) and decided to put one on the ceiling at the front corner to shine back into the shop. Since it was an afterthought (but luckily before I completed the room upstairs) I was able to cut a groove at the back of the skirting in the room above to feed the wires to the back. I have cut out little grooves in the front edges also, so that the wires won't get damaged by the front opening wall.

Clearly this spot looks very unattractive so I am making little corner brackets to hide them and trim the front edges nicely.

 

I have made four brackets, to the room above can be trimmed in the same way. The wooden cutouts have been sanded and painted a golden tan. Once dry, I backed them with dark brown card so the pattern shows up nicely.

The other little detail I wanted to add was a light switch. I am sure the shop would have been 'upgraded to the electrics' and I had seen some fabulous ones, Ms M had made on Madness so I thought I would give it a go and made a few last night.


I dipped the tips of paper covered wire in Gesso to make a rounded end. When that was dry, I dipped the 'drop' in dark brown paint. Once that was dry, I inserted the wire into a 5mm (1/4") bead cap and filled the back with tacky glue to hold it in place. After that had tried overnight, I was able to trim the excess wire and glue the 'switch' to a little piece of wood. I did prepare more of the bead cap thingys but I broke one and dropped another that is nowhere to be found so this is all I ended up with.

Once these bits dry, I can pop them in place and then.. just maybe.. then, I think the shop room is finished...?

Have a lovely week.
Anna



9 comments:

  1. Those are clever little light switches, and I know about dropping things that are never seen again! Your store is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah - in fact I just found the half finished light switch... I had stepped on it and it had gone into the sole of my shoe LOL no longer usable but funny all the same :-)

      Delete
  2. Totally understand the urge to get the toys out. 😊 I am glad you did because you have quite a lot already and when your shop is full I might miss something. It is looking very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it also helped me get an idea what I still need. I have a long list of things I want to buy or make. For now it is all packed away again so that I can finish the structure - it has taken way too long already.

      Delete
  3. I can imagine the delight you had in finding all those lovely toys again! I like to call it "shopping my stash"! It's always nice to have a little play with the minis you have on hand - it tells you where you need to fill and spurs ideas! I love the bracket idea and the tiny light fixtures will be a delightful detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Shopping my Stash'.. I like it! I better keep adding to that stash then, so I can keep shopping. Perfect logic.
      I can't take the credit for the light fixtures, I saw some Mrs M had made on her blog Madness. (https://madnessmademurray.blogspot.com/). I couldn't remember where had the idea from when I wrote the post, but have added the link in now.
      Thanks for reminding me.
      Anna x

      Delete
  4. Nice to see your light switches ! Lovely job ! huggss Mrs M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I got the idea from someone really clever...

      Delete
  5. Dear Anna, How much I have missed! For some reason your blog dissapeared from my reading list. But now I can catch up.

    Already you have a nice selection of toys for the shop. But there is always room for more. i like the way how you have hidden the spots. That is a clever and decorative solution. I may try this one myself for Huis ter Swinnendael. thank you for the inspiration!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete