Saturday 27 March 2021

Roof tiling

I am rather horrified to admit my Toy House has been sitting without a proper roof since... well since Lock Up.
At least, I had painted the roof, just so it wouldn't look too horrible while I worked on the finishing touches. 


The thing is - I wanted a tiled terracotta roof like these: 

 

As you can see, these types of tiles are different to the barrel tiles seen in southern Europe and are laid in straight lines with interlocking ridges (does that make sense?).

I searched online for mini-versions to buy or tutorials for how to make them. I did eventually find these from Miniacons in Spain. Real terracotta in the right scale - Perfect.... 

 

... only getting them sent to OZ was going to be more expensive than I was prepared to pay. Perhaps I could make them...?
For several nights, I had a production line going.


I used airdrying clay, rolled out really thin. To get the undulations in the tiles, I made up a board from scarps of plywood and wooden sticks. I could then lay my clay strips across the ridges...


...and press the soft clay into place. Once the clay was half dry, I scored the strips so that they could easily be broken into individual tiles. It was all looking every promising. 
But when I started laying them - and, I did (luckily) do a small practice run - I soon realized that they were nowhere near precise enough. Overlapping them caused more problems,  I would need to do so much sanding and tweaking along the way and I was far from convinced that it would be successful. Sigh.. 
So there the house sat,
and sat,  
and sat.
Patiently waiting for a roof.

I had right at the beginning, briefly looked at these wooden tiles from Mini Mundus, but had held off getting them because of the cost. 


Then, during a hardware store visit, I spotted a timber molding with very similar profile. Perhaps I could..???
I bought just one length to give it a try. And as the saying goes: 'the rest is history'.


I cut the molding into tile size pieces and got to work. I don't have any fancy tools, so I just used whatever was at hand to make sure all the tiles were the same length.


I originally had thought, I would tile the roof of the dormer window also. I felt the tiles were a bit heavy, so decided to cover it in zinc (painted heavy duty foil) before I started placing the tiles.


I glued down narrow coffee stirrer sticks above each row of tiles before starting the next row. This is to slightly lift the lower edge of each row, so it looks like it overlaps.
I am so glad, I had left the roof loose. It is so much easier to just lift the whole thing off while I work on it rather than having to move the whole house around.

Cutting in around the dormer was 'fun', especially the angles around the roof, but I think it looks ok. 


I still need to finish the 'ridge' tiles - just a piece of half round timber beading before I can paint. But at least it is now starting to look like a roof.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.
Anna X 















13 comments:

  1. Lucky visit to the hardware store. The roof tiles look perfect, worth the hard work of fitting them around the dormer.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes it was very lucky indeed.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Anna - these tiles are prefect. What a wonderful roof. I will have to pay more attention to the trims at my local hardware store in future. It's a beautiful roof and extremely well executed. - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant solution, Anna! Goin to the hardware store with your keen "mini eye" really paid off! I bet this was a fraction of the cost of the other options and now you can use that $$ for special pieces to decorate the inside! Very smart! Can't wait to see how it comes out when you put the final touches on the exterior!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looovvee the hardware store LOL. Isn't it just fabulous how we can mini big things into mini things? As for the 'savings' - they are already spent.

      Delete
  4. Hi Anna! These sort of roof tiles are common here, in The Netherlands (and in parts of Germany too), so I know exactly how they look. And yours really look fantastic, what a lucky visit to the hardware store! The Toy House looks so lovely with its new roof tiles.
    I'd been searching for years for this sort of wood, but finally made them my self, of sturdy paper. If you're still interested, see here: https://minimumloon.blogspot.com/2015/02/het-ging-niet-van-een-leien-dakje-it.html
    Have a lovely Sunday evening.
    Stay safe, take care and keep making mini's.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ilona, yes, I think this is a common type of tile throughout the northern parts of Europe. I have seen your fabulous card tiles and making those would have been my next option. My only concern, I guess was how strong they are being made of card. The roof on The Toy House is not hinged but is lifted off every time I have to get into the house (well my hands only of course) so I need the roof to be quite durable.
      Hugs,
      Anna

      Delete
  5. Looks great Anna, and what a fortuitous find! It’s always so satisfying to finally find a solution to something that has been alluding you. And I completely understand about having to have something just right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some say 'all good things take time..' I like to call it procrastinating - either way, sometimes it just takes time to work things out. Fingers crossed I can get it painted to look right.
      X

      Delete
  6. Hello Anna,

    I love the way the roof has turned out! Great use of that timber molding. I am glad that you spotted it. This solution is much more satisfying than using ready made tiles, I am sure.

    To be honest I will hunt for this or similar moldings when the shops reopen over here. Because this is a wonderfull idea. And I will need around four square meters of rooftiles in the end. 😁

    So thank you for this great tip!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Huibrecht, Thank you for your kind comment. I am glad you find it helpful. 4 square meter - wow that is a big roof and a lot of tiles. My house is only tiny and I wish I had a better kind of saw because it took 'forever' to cut my few (384) tiles by hand.
      Anna x

      Delete
  7. Quel travail incroyable, c’est tout un défi de réaliser à une échelle miniature la réplique exacte de la maison réelle. Je vois tout les détails du travail minutieux. On peut également ressentir la passion pour réaliser cette maison. Je suis impressionné. C’est magnifique. Merci pour ce partage. 🙂

    ReplyDelete