With the first two boxes build and the exterior 'rendered', I couldn't resist testing the door to the smaller shop. It fits perfectly and the light shining through the stained glass is just as I have hoped.
Monday, 11 October 2021
Monday, 4 October 2021
Ok, I didn't completely just start building a door without a plan 😄
This next house, will sit next to the Toy House and started to take shape in my mind a long, long time before the Toy House was anywhere near finished.
I wanted to build a Florist (Ea's Flowers) - a room filled with colour and pretty things. I love my real life garden, worked in florist many years ago (more about that connection later) and have discovered I really enjoy making mini flowers, but...
.. when I began reading miniblogs not so very long ago, everyone seemed to have 'a stash' of just about anything and everything. Turns out that is easy to do and I have managed to build up quite a stash of furniture, furniture kits and mini accessories that don't have a specific home to go to yet so end up in boxes 'for later' and I forget I have them.
I decided, I needed to build some kind of room box, like an attic or something, to put them all in while they wait for a suitable home. I wasn't very excited about the prospect of building this 'box', it felt more like a 'I need to do this' kind of project.
Then it came to me.. what if I could combine the two? Could I perhaps just stick the furniture in the attic above the florist?
I had been enjoying following the making of The Old Misery an old Coach Inn on the TheInfill blog (have looked everywhere for the creator's name, and just can't find it). The story and make of the build is so incredible and captivating, but what really inspired me was the archway in the middle of the building. It got me thinking...
...what if I combined my Florist with a furniture, bric-a-brac, antique kind of dealer shop for my mis-matched furniture and other bits?? With an archway between where both flowers and furniture can spill out into?
|Inspiration photo - Sudergade, Helsingør.|
Suddenly I had a very clear picture in my head how this house will work. I can't do pretty sketches like some of you, so after scribbling my ideas roughly out on paper, I drew this 'draft' on the computer.
|Draft plan for façade|
It is pretty much the Toy House x 2 with an archway thrown in.
The Florist will be in the bigger shop to the left, with a small apartment above (oh, I can't wait to do pretty). To the right will be the Antique / Furniture / Second hand shop (Kaj Larsen & Son) with the door from my last post inside the archway. This shop is (deliberately) tiny on the bottom floor and will have stairs to a larger shop floor above.
|Back of house|
Thursday, 30 September 2021
Where do you start a new project? I started with a door.
I am not sure if starting with a door is odd, but that is what I have done. I do have a plan for this next house, but I had such a clear picture in my head of one of the doors, I just built it.
Unfortunately I didn't take any photos. The door, or doors are made from card stock that I scored to look like planks. I cut the hole for the window slightly larger smaller on the back and then made the frame on the front separate which allowed me to paint the door before putting the 'glass' in.
I couldn't find a handle that I liked, so made this handle using a small curved section of a fancy cut mdf piece meant for balustrades. I glued it onto a piece of card and painting the whole thing black and then rubbed a bit of copper ink over it. It is much less shiny than in this photo and will pass for a cast iron handle, I think.
You may notice the 'glass' in the photo above is clear. That was my first attempt but I wasn't completely happy with it. The cathedral style of glass is made by smearing glue over the plexiglass - the method works fine, but it wasn't the look I was after.
I really wanted coloured glass and after a bit of pondering, I decided to try mixing in some coloured ink. I also decided to use gloss modge podge instead of the glue. The tacky glue had dried beautifully clear but stayed slightly rubbery so I was thinking dust would stick to it over time and be difficult to clean off.
This time, instead of smearing the glue on in a scrolling pattern, I put on rows of dots. I remember seeing glass panes that looked like rows of bottle bases once and thought it would look interesting.
I managed to carefully pry the frame away and replace the cathedral glass with my coloured glass and am so happy with the result.
(By the way: The glass is an afterthought by the current owner, set into an original door to 'fancy it up' and add a bit of interest - but more about that later).
and the inside. The doorframe is basswood and the stone step is made from balsa wood. The little latch that keeps the half-door in place works and to hold the top of the door, I made a tiny little working wire hook and eye. Looking at it now, I realize I will need to add some kind of locking mechanism so the shop owner can lock-up shop at night.
It all went so well until the hinges. I got them all on, all glued, all the tiny nails in and then.. one of turning parts snapped on the half-door. Of course it happened after the glue had set. Short of pulling it all apart, I have decided to live with it and glued the broken part in place.