Monday 24 January 2022

Starting the second room ~ The Flower shop

It has been a while! I hope you have all arrived safe and well in 2022.

I had to put my minis aside for a while because of some family stuff going on. I am finding it a little difficult to pick up where I left off. Almost forgotten where I was up to so I thought writing down what I did before it all came to a grinding halt would be a start...


I had build the carcasses for the two ground floor rooms of this house HERE back in October so after finishing the smaller of the two for 'Kaj Larsen's Furniture' as much as I could HERE , I started turning the other into a florist shop.

~ ~ ~ Ea's Blomster ~ ~ ~ 

[Ea's Flowers]

The box needed a rear door and stairs in the left hand back corner, so I decided to get those ready before finishing the walls and floor. 

I had bought a door, I wanted to use but when I took it out of the packaging, I was disappointed to realize that there was no 'glass' in the transom windows above the door. I knew I needed to adapt the door a bit to fit but these things are still irritating, don't you think?

The door needed to swing the other way, the frame was not deep enough for the build-up wall and anything with glass is so much easier to paint without the glass in place -So I started by pretty much pulling the door and door frame apart. 30sec in microwave on high to soften glue - Thanks for that handy tip Brea (Otterine's Miniatures).

The door will sit flush with the external wall, so to allow for the extra thickness in the wall, I had to cut away the architrave that was glued to one side of the frame.


I added perspex to the transom and cut tiny pieces of wood to match those already in the window frame to hold it in place. I also cut strips for wood to add a door stop all the way around the inside of the frame - to stop the draft!


While it was all in pieces, I sanded and stained the threshold with oak stain. The door and frame was painted first with an 'undercoat' of dark brown the two coats of a fawn before being sanded and 'dirtied' in strategic places.


The finished door seemed a little bare, so I decided it needed a simple curtain. Lace was too fancy since this a back door allowing the florist to get to the rear yard behind the shop, so I made this simper curtain from a scrap of very fine cotton with lines of drawn threads.


I am forever surprised how much time you can spend adapting bought pieces - but equally satisfied that the playing around can transform a plain pine door into something that looks kind of real.

Next up, the stairs...
I will put that in the next post so this one won't go on forever LOL.

Have a lovely Monday.
Anna X




2 comments:

  1. Hello Anna,

    Transforming a bought piece can indeed take more time than you expect. But in the end it is the result that counts. And this door looks very good. Thank you for the microwave tip that will come in as very useful! Up to now I just pulled hoping that the glue joint is weaker than the pieces it holds together. Unfortunately that is not always the case.

    I take it that you made the pulled thread decorations yourself? It looks good.

    I look forward to see the blomster Bloom under you hands from a empty box into a miniature shop!

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna! You have made a wonderful start on the next shop! That door is Awesome! I really love the simple curtain you made and the hardware for the door makes it look like a RL door! Fantastic work! And I can sympathize about not remembering where you were... this happens to me every year after I finish the X-Mas card! It takes me a while to find my stride again! Keep up the great work, and I hope the family stuff takes care of itself with no trouble for you! :)

    ReplyDelete