Thursday 20 May 2021

From wood to terracotta

I have just realized, I completely forgot to show you how my roof tiles turned out. 


Pale wood beading has been turned to 'terracotta tiles'. I really enjoyed the process of these make-believe tiles and am really happy with how it has turned out. 

I started by giving the entire roof an undercoat of black gesso. I wish, I had remembered to take a photo. I think, I am in love with black gesso - it looked amazing! It made me want to build a house with glazed black tiles.


My thinking behind using black instead of the usual white, was that black would tone down and 'dirty' the terracotta paint rather than making it bright as a white undercoat tends to do. In the picture above, the tiles had had just a single coat of terracotta over the black. 

The 'ridge tiles' are made from a length of 'half-round' wood beading with narrow card strips glued over the top for the individual tiles. 


A second coat of paint and the tiles are starting to look like terracotta, but now it was too clean and uniform for an old house so...


Back to the painting. For this last coat, I painted the tiles one by one, randomly mixing the paints, most burnt sienna, with bits of red and various browns thrown in for good measure.
I have never attached the roof to the house. I was going to, but it just rests nicely onto the house, fitting into two notches, so I am not sure I will ever hinge it. One thing is for certain; it came in really handy to be able to lift it off and work on it. 


Next up was the zink flashing. This is just thick foil painted with silver acrylic paint a trick I found in 
'The big book of a miniature house' by Lea Frisoni. I was glad that I had painted plenty of foil because it took quite a few trails before I worked out how to get the foil strips to fit in and around the ridges in the tiles. 
Note to self: use heavier foil in the future.


In the end, I worked out a rough template. It is not perfect, but it looks ok for an old roof. 


After that was all glued in place, I 'dirtied' and weathered the whole roof. It might need a bit of dirt and grime and I am toying with the idea of moss growing here and there. We'll see...


So will I do this kind of roof again? I think it works, so I am pretty sure I will. 

But next time, I might like to try and find a wood beading with a slightly more shallow profile so that I can get a neater finish on the zink. And - if the house is any bigger than this one, I just might have to invest in a better saw (read 'something electrical'), because I am not sure, I would want to cut any more tiles than this by hand. 


And so - I think the house itself is finally finished. Is a house ever really finished? 

There are still empty shelves in the shop, the curtains in the apartment needs to be hung and Truffle is still waiting for his basket. But the house itself is finished. 

Have a great weekend everyone,
Anna X


12 comments:

  1. Good question Anna - is a house ever really finished? Certainly none of mine! Haha! But that’s part of the fun. It’s always exciting to find some new accessory to add or a little detail to change. Regardless, you should be proud of your efforts because your building looks amazing. Great detail and authentic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it is kind of nice it never ends.

      Delete
  2. I also love to work with a black gesso undercoat, I think the colors look more realistic and 'dirty' than with the white one.
    Using the foil for zink flashing is a good thing, but I've never found such sort of foil. Yours turned out great.
    Good question: is a house ever finished?? To my opninion it is not, look at our real life homes ;O).
    I think you did an excellent job making the roof tiles, they turned out great and fit to the style of this house. It's always nice to add things into a house, isn't it?!
    Stay safe, take care, dear Anna.
    Have a nice weekend.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Australia people love their BBQ or outdoor grill so the BBQ shops sell the heavier foil. I think hardware stores have it also. I would be more than happy to send you some, Ilona.
      Hugs Anna

      Delete
  3. Hi Anna! I think the roof looks fantastic! And I would never have guessed that the "tiles" were made from wood molding! Wow! That is such a creative choice and looks so realistic! I really look forward to seeing what you add next now that the house is "finished"! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Betsy! I procrastinated over roof tiles for SO long and almost gave in to buying the Mini Mundus wood tiles even though it would have cost me a fortune. That's what gave me the idea to try and make something similar myself. Thanks Mini Mundus :)
      Anna X

      Delete
  4. This roof came out so wonderfully, Anna! It was such a breakthrough to use the profiled trim and you got the color and aging just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jodi. It is amazing how, sometimes, if you procrastinate for long enough - eventually it work out.

      Delete
  5. I have been very busy these last few weeks and through that, very neglectful to other people's blogs.

    The aged rooftiles look amazing. You did a really good job on those. and I like the painted paper. it really resembles zinc flashing really well.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about being busy, but it is nice that you have stopped by my blog - Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Anna, the roof turned out superb! The colour is perfect and your zinc flashing is very realistic. I don't think builders have a perfect template when they cut it either.
    One can always tinker and add to a house. It is never really finished but when you get to this stage in the game, I think you're allowed to start thinking about what you would like to do next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan - after the amount of time I spent procrastinating and looking for solutions to my 'roof tile problem' I am quite happy with how it all turned out in the end. The beauty of mini-ing is that you always learn something for next time around.
      Oh, and the next house (and the next, and the next and the one after that) have been swirling in my mind for quite some time now.
      Anna X

      Delete