Thursday 5 September 2019

You have to start somewhere...

... so why not start with an epic fail and a not completely gracious but functional save?

This is my first house, and most of it I work out as go. The one thing that makes me nervous is lighting. Those wee lights seem to fragile and, although I get the basics about running and joining wires, + and -, planning what goes where, the thought of actually doing it was something I kept putting off.


I finally took the plunge. I started by painted my light fitting to be more like cast bronze-like. I cut the groove in the floor above, like I had read to do and installed my first light. It worked - oh, joy. So, with that done, I covered the groove with masking tape and happily glued the floor boards in the room above. Fail no. 1: This is where it began to go wrong - I will never ever, ever direct glue a floor again!!

The light wasn't as bright as I would have liked. I had bought some LED replacement bulbs and was toying with the idea of replacing the bulbs in the light fitting, so the shop shelves would be better lit. Partway through pulling the existing bulbs out, I realized that I didn't know how the wires inside the light were configured and since the LEDs must be wired correctly to + and -, I could not be sure they would work. So, I gently screwed the regular bulbs back in....

... the light didn't work!!! I tried everything to get the darn thing going, but no - I had somehow killed it.
I know I had channeled and covered the wire before sticking the floor down, so did not completely despair - I was just annoyed. I managed to pry the light fitting off the ceiling and yep, the wire slid out nicely - and yes, I had remembered to tie an extra length of string to the other end, so that I could later pull the wire for the new fitting back through. Despite it being irritating, I was pretty happy that at least it seamed like I would be able to re-run the wire. Still, it sat like this, with a match in the ceiling for weeks, waiting for the new light fitting to arrive and for me to feel inspired to try and fix it.

... I don't know about 'with ease'. Getting the new wire through was near impossible. The channel was perhaps too shallow and narrow, the surface too rough, the edges it passed over too sharp... Whatever the reason, my clever string snapped. Noooo!!!!

I had planned to gather and run the wires from all floors down the back corner of the building but I have helped my husband enough times, running wires down walls in our real house to know going around corners is simply impossible - the only way now was to drill a hole in the back wall of the house.
I was giving up - perhaps the old house, had had electricity put in and the wiring just run across the ceiling in conduit???



 No, that wouldn't do. So option 2 - drill a hole in the back wall and run the wire on the back instead of inside as planned... of, course the first hole I drilled was on the wrong side of the floor/ceiling. Sigh, the way I was going the back would end up looking like an old cheese - full of holes


Trying to get my 'feeding' wire up through the ceiling and into the groove proved more than tricky and I ended up (of course) with holes poking through to my otherwise finished floor above.. 
Hours and hours later.. the wire... the stupid, stupid wire, finally fed through. I don't know how many times I was about to give up, but I am so glad I didn't... it was working!!


... and it is still working......





10 comments:

  1. It is looking fabulous. Well done and such patience and perseverance, but it paid off. If it helps I lay all my floors on double sided sticky tape so easy to remove if I had to. Needless to say because I do that I have had to 😂. So basically if I make up a floor with tiles for example i do that on cardboard and then double sided tape it to the floor. Put tape on the floor in bits and bobs all over, oull the protecting cover off and lay your floor on top. Dead easy honestly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heaps, I can honestly say I breath a sigh of relief every time I turn on the light.. and it still works.
      I will most certainly be making my floor on card from now on. Thanks for tip about the tape.

      Delete
  2. Hi Anna. Your house looks lovely and I look forward to seeing more posts on its progress. I would have laughed at your description of the lighting problems, except it is exactly the same for me so often. I guess it is funny in a way, and if you don’t laugh, you’ll cry. Anyway, I am glad you got the light working. Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile having lighting. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon, thank you for stopping by.
      Oh yes, the lighting. I love the look of lighting in houses, but I dread the wiring bit and the lights themselves seem so fragile. I guess it is a matter of practice. Fingers cross the next lot goes easier, and I definitely learned a lot by all my mistakes.
      Anna x

      Delete
  3. I’m petrified my lights will stop working... I test them often... perhaps too often, I’ll probably break them lol. I think your ordeal is a familiar story to many of us. And yes, I lay my floors on card too.. I don’t even stick them down.. I use the baseboards stuck to the wall as a channel to feed the floor through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam.. I haven't dared testing them again for what if...???
      Important lesson 'bout floors has been learned the hard way! Never again.

      Delete
  4. Hello Anna,

    I look forward to seeing the progress on your toyshop. It looks like a great project. The electrics is not something I look forward to regarding my own project. But it must be done. I am happy that the lights work now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Huibrecht
      Thank you for stopping by. It is a tiny project compared to yours but I am having a lot of fun. I am happy with the lightning but can't help wondering if it is enough to light the shelves properly.
      Anna

      Delete
  5. Oh Anna! How did I not see your mini blog - until today?!? I have been lost since the end of last summer, trying almost hopelessly to catch up, and every day there is new evidence of my incompetence. I truly apologize, and am just so excited to read every post and begin to catch up on this wonderful shop project! I can't tell you how many breakthroughs I have had myself, just when I was ready to give up but gave it one last try! And how many times I have let tricky problems languish while I slowly worked out a solution. I am so glad that all is well that ends well and that the fixture works! It is really perfect for the shop! Nice work on the moldings, too! They look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Gosh Jodi, no need to apologize for anything!!! If we were to reply and comment on everything on social media there would be no time left for actually making minis, would there? I am just really glad you popped by.
      Anna x

      Delete