Tuesday 28 January 2020

Final details & Homemade Hardware


I sometimes find it hard to know when something is finished.. really finished. 
But I do think that now that the the brackets I made to hide the spotlight and frame the front and the little light switch are in place....
The shop in The Toyhouse is finished...


I am really quite happy with how the little switch looks on the wall, and the brackets too - although a bit of an afterthought worked out as I had hoped.
I still need to take a photo with the lights on - the spotlight makes such a difference.


****************************

The apartment above the shop is also very close to finished... I think. 
I, can't really show it yet, because I am building this house as three boxed stacked on top of one another, so the ceiling of the apartment is also the floor of the attic room. 
I really, really, really want to finish the structure of this little house and I have done quite a bit of work on the attic room. 


I have taken photos as I went along, but this is where it is at.
It is a plywood structure. The floor is made from pop-sickle sticks glued to card stock. I have tinted and stained it with several layers of paint and home-made 'stain' made from steel wool, coffee and tea left to soak in vinegar for quite a few weeks. It gives a wonderful dirty, weathered wood look that I wanted to the attic.


The partition, leading to an imaginary landing is made from card framed with strips of balsa wood.
smaller.  They are tricky to see in the picture, but under the shelf in the storage nook are three little peg-hooks so the resident student has somewhere to hang his Sunday best.

The door too is made from card stock and mini timber moldings. It does open, but is one sided so I am going to be leaving it closed. In the picture below, I had not yet put the hinges on. They are made following this brilliantly simple Hinge Tutorial. They are made from paper, that is glued tightly around a bit of wire. I mixed paint into pva glue to paint them to give them a bit of extra strength.


The keyhole is commercial week thing, but I simply could not find a door handle that was simple enough. Besides, I do know that most handles in more modest houses in Denmark were turned timber so....


... I shopped the end of a turned timber bit and sanded and sanded and sanded some more, until I had the handle I wanted. Who knew, it was possible to spend a whole evening making one wee handle???

Until next time....
Anna x

19 comments:

  1. I really, really like your little shop. Thanks for the great tutorial on door hinges! And your whole evening making a door handle was worth it, because it turned out perfectly. I also like the little nail in the door. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I have been surprised just how strong these little hinges are after being coated in glue. It won't be the last time I use them, I think.

      Delete
  2. well spotted the spindle for making that handle. I wish I had that knack. It is just perfect.... i bet the room even smells slightly damp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha, ha I am just trying to work out how to paint water stains without ruining it. So easy to go overboard isn't it?
      I am glad you like the handle. I regularly visit your youtube and blogs for ideas how to make things so it is nice if I have been able to pass on an idea.

      Delete
    2. Thrilled to bits we are exchanging ideas - that's the bonus to doing doing minis, especially on your own, we find nice helpful folk along the way. I also mentally filed the neat little hinge.
      Using card and leather and fabric bits was already in my noddle but adding that little bit of wire to shape it up absolutely turns it from mundane to excellent. Sadly the idea came about three days too late; if you have seen my latest post you will understand. 😣😥😪

      Delete
    3. Yes, I see you are having all sorts of 'fun' with your windows. I have a few to do for the facade of The Toyhouse and keep putting it in the 'too hard basket' LOL

      Delete
    4. They are soooo boring. I am currently watching stain dry and it is mych more entertaining.

      Delete
    5. Stain is interesting, and you never quite know until it is dry and coated.
      I was pretty impressed with your solution to the cellarette hinges - I might have given up if that was me. I have at least made my windows and if I can make them open with my paperhinges, or at least some of them I will be happy.

      Delete
  3. The store looks great, I have a door handle made of sturdy white / black iron wire, curved in shape, but this is also possible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heaps, I am glad you like it. I have tried little wire handles also, but wanted something a little sturdier for this door and remembered the doors in my Aunties cottage outside Copenhagen having timber handles.

      Delete
  4. Hi Anna, Your Toy House looks nice and ready to be furnished. I especially like the attic with weathered surfaces and clever storage nook. Eager to see the middle room too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Riitta, I keep meaning to put some pictures up of the middle room. I will try and get it done soon.

      Delete
  5. Your tiny toggled light switches are lovely and they really tie in nicely against the wallpaper. I also like the way you've hidden the spots behind the corner brackets which is Brilliant!
    Love the rustic looking attic floor and the Very Clever addition of the closet under the roof slope- it and the Door to the landing are Practical as well as Wonderful! I have learned a lot from this post alone, can't wait to catch up on everything else I've previously missed seeing! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth that means a lot coming from you. I have been visiting Studio E regularly since falling down the 'mini-rabbit-hole' and always find so much inspiration there.
      hugs, Anna

      Delete
  6. You have done a wonderful job with the attic room and I just love how you are taking advantage of every opportunity to add the details that thrill us mini enthusiasts! Great work! I am excited to see all three floors together, and to see how you are going to fill out the spaces! And, I have added you to my blog roll (now that I am catching up) so I won't miss a post from now on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi, if only I had time to make all the stuff that is going on in my head. I guess I am due for a 'show and share' of the apartment.
      Anna x

      Delete
  7. That cupboard wow and the doorhandle brillant idea and all together with attic so cute and now my mind is going to put something in it can't help it LOL! What a great work you make!!!
    have a nice day,
    groetjes van Marijke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Yes, I really need to put something in that cupboard: spare blanket for winter, jumper, shirt, jacket, a box or two perhaps a beaten up old suitcase...???

      Delete
  8. Hello Anna,

    The attic room looks very good. It has a great atmosphere. The hinges and the doorknob are very interesting. I may try reproducing them myself. the pegs for hanging clothes and the nail in the door are indeed nice touches to the room.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete