Tuesday 23 February 2021

Coming un-hinged

The corner cupboard for T. Tjørngren's apartment was coming along just fine.

Of course, I the glasses didn't quite fit into the top shelf (I knew, I should have tested them before gluing the shelf in place) but I was able to carefully sand the slots until they were wide enough for the glasses I have. 


Next, I built the doors. To get the rebated panels I sandwiched 3 layers of thin bass wood, even managing to to cut the curved upper edges to the front panels. 

Before gluing the panels on the front of the doors in place, I had 'undercoated' and sanded the front, thinking it would be much easier to get the nice and smooth that way. I also painted the inside of the doors the same pale yellow as the inside of the cupboards. Dry Australian summers are not kind to paint and I since I had mixed the colour a bit randomly, so was worried that if I left it too long, it would dry out and I wouldn't be able to match it later.

So far, so good. I was really pleased with how it was coming along. The plan was to to next pin-hinge the cupboard doors to the top, middle and bottom sections when I stacked the modules...

That's when I came unstuck!! 

Because I had built the drawer so it sits directly below and flush with the upper cupboard door there is nowhere for me to drill a hole to take a pin for the bottom of the door.

Ups! Now what?

Option one: redo the top cupboard with the drawer in a separate housing to take the pin for the cupboard door, or...

Option two: attach the doors with proper hinges (scary).

I really like the look of the drawer directly below the cupboard door and didn't really fancy rebuilding the whole top section. The problem with hinges are 1) The thickness of the door and frame is only 3mm, 1/8" or less. I don't have any hinges that tiny in my stash, and don't even know if they are available. 2) I am petrified that I will mess it up, trying to attach tiny hinges.

In the end, I decided to go with the hinges after all. I figure, if I do mess it up, I can always revert to option one and rebuild the top but it is worth a try. Now what to do about hinges??

I have had a go at making little hinges some time ago, so figured that by making them myself, I can get them the exact size I need them.


I cut the parts (6mm x 10mm wide) from tealight casing. This metal is so soft and pliable, that I could cut it with a craft knife which resulted in better, cleaner cuts than my scissors.


I knew from last time I made hinges, that my needle-nose pliers are not thin enough to roll the barrel to take the pin (sewing pin cut down) snugly. So instead, I simply folded the metal back over the wrong side of the hinge place. This metal is so thin and folded bit will be under the hinge once it is attached so I figure, once the rebates are cut in the wood, the extra tiny bit of thickness won't matter.


I then punched holes in the hinge plates to nails later just using an awl unto my cutting mat. To prevent the pin from falling out, I added a small dollop of glue to each end of the barrel as I cut the pin down to fit. 
And there four hinges ready to go. They are not perfect, but I am hoping they will do the job.

For now, I need to build and attach a pelmet at the top and some kind for feet to the bottom. Paint the cupboard and then hope and pray my little hinges work.

Wish me luck.

Anna 

11 comments:

  1. I share your hinge fears Anna! Maybe this will help: https://thekinfelddollhouse.blogspot.com/2016/03/dollhouse-door-hinge-tutorial.html?showComment=1522819024025#c2686947977347187576
    I haven’t used it but have read comments from others who have and liked it. Good luck! I am sure you will work it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? So many things can go wrong.
      I used that tutorial for the hinges on the windows and it is fabulous and I will definitely use it again. Even though I cover them with PVA glue for added strength I am still worried paper hinges wonted be durable enough for the cupboard.
      Anna

      Delete
    2. I worry about things like that too. I think with minis, it can be hard to find the perfect solution. But keep at it. Your cupboard will work and look great!

      Delete
  2. Anna you are so daring! But if anyone can make clever working hinges - you can! Wonderful ingenuity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daring or desperate?! LOL - Either way, thanks heaps Jodi. Fingers crossed it works.

      Delete
  3. Anna: your hinge solution is great. I agree with you - I have never found hinges small enough that they don't look way out of scale in my mini-makes. I go out of my way to try to pin-hinge whenever possible just because of this problem. Making them yourself is a wonderful solution. I look forward to seeing the end result! - Marilyn D., New Brunswick, Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am glad, I am not the only one thinking they all look terribly clunky. If this works, I will probably make my own when I can't use pin hinges.
      Anna

      Delete
  4. Your way of making hinges is right, Anna, I think it will work. I do the hinges the same way, but only on paper doors, which I make of passe-partout board, so I can split the paper to glue the hinges in between. So, I can't wait to see how the rest of your cupobard will look like, including the wooden doors and fitting hinges. I'm sure it will be gorgeous!
    Stay safe, take care.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouraging words Ilona. I probably would have sandwiched the hinges in the doors if I had realized, I couldn't pin them. Hopefully it works out ok.
      Hugs,
      Anna

      Delete
  5. Hello Anna,

    I have read this and the last post with great interest. I love the type of corner cupboard you are making. And it is coming along nicely.

    When it comes to hinges you are braver than I am. I have a little kit of lasercut brass hinges that are very tiny. Someone gave them to me to try, but I have not as yet done so. looking at your tutorial I should try them though. They come from the nalladris website and are very small and thin. smaller than the ready made brass hinges you can buy in the shops. You have to cut and roll the pins in them just like you have done here. Perhaps these are small enough?

    I am glad that you can use the shlf for hanging the glasses after some tweaking with the sandpaper. The idea is too nice not to make it work. I really look forward to see the next stage of this corner cupboard.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Huibrecht,
    Thank you for your kind words. I am not so sure the hinges will work as well as I had hoped - they are still causing me a bit of trouble.
    I didn't know, Nalladris had hinges. I went straight to their website and found them. They look perfect for size so next time I order from them, I will get some and try them.
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete