Sunday 19 September 2021

 "All good things take time..." As we all know, all too well - that goes for small things too but I have finally managed to finish the rug for T. Tjørngren's living room. 


I hate to think how long it took me and after all that, you can hardly see it with the furniture in place.
Up until then, he had been borrowing a smaller rug that I embroidered years ago, but this one is a much better fit. 
I couldn't find a rug pattern I liked to the dimensions I needed so I made the pattern or chart using a free online program that I have now happily forgotten what was called.  

The next bit might not mean an awful lot for those of you who don't stitch, but I thought I would share it anyway. Rather than using silk gauze which is most often used for miniature needlepoint, I have worked this rug in full cross stitch onto calico (quilter's muslin). 1) I didn't have any silk gauze; 2) the calico I did have, had a weave similar to Aida cloth only very tiny, making it ideal for mini stitching; 3) by stitching on calico, I was able to make nicely fringed ends which is not really possible with gauze, I don't think. 


I almost regretted using this fabric halfway more than once while stitching it because working full cross stitch instead of petit point, means twice as many stitches - As if there wasn't enough already!


Here you can see it in all its mini glory. Now that it is done, I am so happy, I persevered. 


~ ~ Back in the Loft ~ ~ 

There was so much clutter on top of the chest of drawers, that I made Karl Johan a small shelf to hang above it. Not that he has a lot of stuff, but at least he can now put his toiletries a bit more out of the way.  


So what was the plan for the small drawers? As you can see, Karl Johan has pulled one out and just piled the contents into the empty hole.


Huibrecht was absolutely right when he guessed it had something to do with birds. You see, Karl Johan had found a nest with two tiny baby birds that had blown out of a tree...



He brought the nest home and the only thing suitable he could find to put the nest in was of course his top drawer. Very sensibly has has lined it with a bit of news paper.


To make sure the wee babies stay nice and warm, the drawer sits on the floor next to the stove. I am not sure what he intends to do once they get bigger and start to move about - for now it is ok, cause they are tiny....


... yes, very, very tiny. That big, fat finger is my pinkie. It was fiddley and fun to make. I wasn't even sure if I could pull it off. I haven't made nests.. or birds.. or any animal for that matter before... so what on earth was I thinking? 


My wee birds are fare from perfect. The beaks are wonky and they don't have any legs but overall it they worked out better than I had hoped. I guess sometimes you just have to dive in and give it a go and see what happens. That is what I love so much about making tiny things.

On that note; I have started something new... but I will start a fresh post for that.
Until then - take care and thanks for stopping by.
Anna X











14 comments:

  1. The rug is gorgeous and you're right about its fringe which makes it look more authentic.
    I love the nest. what a great way to display one in a home.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your rug is Really Beautiful! I love the warmth of the colors and the look of the cross-stitch!
    And those tiny rescued birds in a nest inside the drawer, are the ideal "house pets" for Karl Johan to raise, as well as to study.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth - let's hope he can keep the wee things alive :-)

      Delete
  3. Nice to see a post from you, Anna! I am one of those that knows nothing about stitching but am so happy you persevered, too! It is a treat to see a real, hand stitched rug, and it looks beautiful against the furniture! Knowing that each element in a room has been lovingly created makes the whole scene substantially more special!

    And the tiny birds are wonderful! Not just because they are adorable, but for the way they reveal Karl's character. The story you tell by placing them in the drawer portrays Karl as a caring boy with his priorities in the right place. I'm so glad you revealed a bit of yourself in this enchanting project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how this hobby allows us to dabble in all kinds of crafts - embroidery is what I do in RL for a living so apart from the time, that part is kind of a 'no brainer' for me... the thought of 3D printing and the kinds of amazing things you do, does my head in LOL

      Delete
  4. Hi Anna,

    I have absolutely no idea why it ook me so long, but I have finally found your miniatures blog (I must have been doing something blonde)... I love the rug! At the moment I am very drawn to those shades of red, it must be Autumn arriving for us here. I look forward to going through all of your posts!
    Jonquil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Jonquil and thank you for stopping by!
      I am so in awe of all your beautiful work - something for me to aspire to.

      Delete
  5. Hi Anna! I am sorry to be so late to comment! The rug is amazing! I could not imagine having the patience to do cross-stitch for an entire carpet! Wow! And you made the pattern too! I really need to learn the patience for making the patterns... I just want to "wing it" rather than make a pattern. As for that adorable tiny nest with the birds, they are perfect! Little baby birds are pretty wonky in RL.... and tiny and fragile too. You have captured that feeling of vulnerability perfectly! Clearly Karl will have to have an open window ledge for when they fledge....!
    And I can't wait to see the new project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Betsy, thanks for your lovely comments. I admit that while stitching the rug, my thoughts were 'never again..!", but now that it is done, I do like it. Since you already know how a chart works, I don't think you will find making a pattern all that difficult - colour pencils and graph paper is a good and easy start.
      Ah, those wee birds - let's just see if Karl manages to keep them alive until they are big enough to fly.
      Hugs, A

      Delete
  6. Hello Anna,

    I should have said nest! I was thinking either a nest with eggs or bird skulls. I could not choose so s
    I kept to the safer guess "birds". :-)

    The rug is superb! A great project that adds something to an already great room. And that most of it is hidden by the furniture is sad on one hand, but tbe more realistic on tbe other hand.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Huibrect - I thought you did really well with your guess.
      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. That rug is stupendous! And I love the baby bird story. You managed very well with the little fledglings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan, I appreciate your kind comment:)

      Delete