Thursday 30 September 2021

Welcome to my New Project...

Where do you start a new project? I started with a door.

I am not sure if starting with a door is odd, but that is what I have done. I do have a plan for this next house, but I had such a clear picture in my head of one of the doors, I just built it.

Unfortunately I didn't take any photos. The door, or doors are made from card stock that I scored to look like planks. I cut the hole for the window slightly larger smaller on the back and then made the frame on the front separate which allowed me to paint the door before putting the 'glass' in. 

I couldn't find a handle that I liked, so made this handle using a small curved section of a fancy cut mdf piece meant for balustrades. I glued it onto a piece of card and painting the whole thing black and then rubbed a bit of copper ink over it. It is much less shiny than in this photo and will pass for a cast iron handle, I think.

You may notice the 'glass' in the photo above is clear. That was my first attempt but I wasn't completely happy with it. The cathedral style of glass is made by smearing glue over the plexiglass - the method works fine, but it wasn't the look I was after. 

I really wanted coloured glass and after a bit of pondering, I decided to try mixing in some coloured ink. I also decided to use gloss modge podge instead of the glue. The tacky glue had dried beautifully clear but stayed slightly rubbery so I was thinking dust would stick to it over time and be difficult to clean off. 

This time, instead of smearing the glue on in a scrolling pattern, I put on rows of dots. I remember seeing glass panes that looked like rows of bottle bases once and thought it would look interesting. 

I managed to carefully pry the frame away and replace the cathedral glass with my coloured glass and am so happy with the result. 

(By the way: The glass is an afterthought by the current owner, set into an original door to 'fancy it up' and add a bit of interest - but more about that later).

and the inside. The doorframe is basswood and the stone step is made from balsa wood. The little latch that keeps the half-door in place works and to hold the top of the door, I made a tiny little working wire hook and eye. Looking at it now, I realize I will need to add some kind of locking mechanism so the shop owner can lock-up shop at night. 

It all went so well until the hinges. I got them all on, all glued, all the tiny nails in and then.. one of turning parts snapped on the half-door. Of course it happened after the glue had set. Short of pulling it all apart, I have decided to live with it and glued the broken part in place. 


It is disappointing but reality is that it will never be opened and closed I (and you) am the only one who knows it is stuck. 

So what is this new house? As you can see I have started to build something, but I will wait and show you more soon, when it actually will look like something other than a wooden box. I do hope to get to work on it some more this coming weekend. 

Thank you all for stopping by.
Anna 

10 comments:

  1. I just love it, Anna! The stamped green glass idea is awesome! I love all the bespoke hardware, too! The best things come from an all consuming, inspirational idea, and this is certainly one of those! It's a little disappointing when something doesn't function exactly the way we envision, but our mini homes are often dioramas, as we don't tend to play with them a lot. I often secure the doors into position because folks tend to overplay with and break them. Repairs can be a nightmare, and often never look as good. Better safe than sorry.
    I can't wait to see the plans and ideas for the new project! I know this is going to be so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi, there is something greatly satisfying about solving these little challenges, isn't there. I have completely come to terms with my non-opening door - I guess it was just that initial feeling of annoyance when it happend.

      Delete
  2. Great door Anna, and looks like an interesting project! I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In all seriousness that is a display piece on its own, such lovely detailed work and what a result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh Marilyn, that means a lot coming from such a skilled builder.

      Delete
  4. Hi Anna! I think starting with the door is a very logical "entrance" to a project! I have done it that way a time or two in my mini builds! (The Tree House in particular.) Your door looks sturdy and old fashioned... you mentioned shopkeepers... now I look forward to knowing more! The hinges look beautiful... alas, they are often delicate in mini projects. (hence my use of oversized sturdy brass ones for my Castle! L0l!) It is a shame that one side of the door will remain fixed... but it probably was rarely opened all the way in the mini-user's existence.... and got a bit rusty and stuck in place anyway! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... more a care of 'I hadn't bought the wood yet and was itching to build something! but it has worked out in my favor I think.
      Yep, bummer with the hinges and thank god these wee houses always have a wall missing so I can still get furniture in and out :)

      Delete
  5. Well, whatever the new project will be, you have to start somewhere. So why not with the door?

    I love the effect on the 'glass' pane in the door. I am curious what the new house will become.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Huibrecht. More to come soon....

      Delete